Monday, May 09, 2005

Hot tub madness.

Madness? Or anger, maybe?
I tried to hook up the hot-tub yesterday. I figured this didn't count as "work on Sunday" because the end cause was soaking in a hot-tub. But as it turns out, after filling the hot-tub with water, the circuit breaker pops as soon as you flip it on. Even if I disconnect all the wires at the hot-tub end.
It seems that our electrician, Bill messed up one of the connections. I couldn't find any mistakes. Hopefully he'll show up tomorrow and fix this problem. I don't want that water to start turning green on me.

Soccer Madness:
I'm playing sweeper, the ball gets past me, and I'm running just ahead of an opposing player. I'm running the wrong way, and our goalie, Brian, is heading straight at me. I yell "it's yours" and step off to the left a couple feet. The opposing player desides not to back down. As Brian reaches the ball, I'm right next to him. He takes a good swing at the ball and makes solid contact, first with the ball, and then with the opposing players ankle. Brian managed to break the guy's ankle despite his shin guard and Brian walked away with only a bruise himself.
That ended the game. They carried the player off the field and Wendy dove him to the hospital.
I had to walk off the field and couldn't watch this guy lying on the ground in pain. It reminded me too much of the situation in which I hurt my knee. I'm just glad it was his ankle and not his knee. Bones heal relatively easily.

On happier news: I figured out how I'm going to get my code done at work. All it took was a three minute question and answer session with Mr Manthei. The last couple days I was a bit stumped. The old code totally sucks and needs a re-write. It's full of NOP() loops and other arbitrary delay based timing, even for critical code. Several sections of non-critical code are preempting critical code. Very similar code is repeated. There is at least one unnecessary, undocumented, and uncommented recursive routine... worse, it is not obvious that the variable that ends the recursion will necessarily always end up false, preventing an endless loop.
Finally, the code is all based around an interrupt task that is definitely missing interrupts, and is running excessively fast. It's as good as doing everything in a big, un-timed for loop. Ick.
And this is my first for-profit programming project. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home